Finals: 7 Study Tips to Tame The Beast!
It’s that time of the year again for many of our ATCers. With finals only a couple days away, here are 7 study tips to help you tame the beast!
1. It’s a common saying the self-knowledge is the best knowledge. This can be applied to study habits. Know how you study best and adapt your study habits accordingly. Like it quiet? Shut out the distractions! Prefer handwritten notes over typed? Sharpen that no. 2 pencil and get to work! This is critical first step to studying like a pro.
2. Ask questions (remember….ATCpride)! Know that your instructors and your fellow students are all in this together. Leverage your resources by asking questions early and often.
3. Teach classmates (remember, again….ATCpride)! This goes back to the “we’re all in this together” theme. Work with your classmates to re-teach the material as you study. If you can explain complex subjects simply, then that’s a pretty good indication that you understand the material. Unleash your inner professor!
4. Prioritize and schedule. We’re all busy, so it’s rare when we have an entire day devoted to studying. That said, list the top 5 things you need to accomplish in your day and block off the appropriate amount of time for each. Be ruthless with your schedule and hold yourself accountable to your timelines. This will help you in your healthcare career as well!
5. Now is not the time for multitasking! When studying, complete one thing at a time. Putting too many tasks on your plate will lead to you feeling overwhelmed.
6. “You’re not yourself when you’re hungry.” The marketing department at Snickers got it right. Neurons drive our thinking and learning and need good fats, protein, complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and water. It’s science, friends!
7. Rest well….seriously. No need for explanation here. Take breaks and sleep a solid 8 hours. Good sleep helps you achieve peak performance. Cramming all night is counterproductive.
There are countless resources online with additional tips for studying. Check out our pinterest board as a starter. With a little effort towards some healthy habits, you’ll tame the finals beast like a seasoned pro! #ATCpride