5 Interview Tips to Help You Stand Out
So you’re graduating and will soon be looking to land your dream job. We all know interviewing can be an anxiety-filled experience. Don’t worry! With a little preparation you can leave your anxiety behind and stand out from the competition.
Here are some interview tips brought to you by your friendly AmeriTech College Student and Career Services team:
1. Study the job description. A job description is like a roadmap to preparing for success during an interview. Emphasize your skills and accomplishments as they relate to the skills the job requires. It’s important you don’t embellish your skills or make misstatements about your capabilities. It’s rare that an employer finds everything they’re looking for, so showcasing strength in a few key areas he/she lists will go a long way.
2. Prepare for questions in advance. Look up possible interview questions based on the specific job you are interviewing for and prepare answers to the questions in advance. Your answers should give concrete examples. If the example is a learning situation, show what you gained or learned.
3. Accentuate the qualities that make you different/unique. It’s pretty self-explanatory, but most people interviewing for a job will have a similar skillset and formal education (especially in entry-level healthcare positions). You know what makes you special. Make sure the interviewer knows as well!
4. Ask questions that give you a boost. One of the most difficult parts of the interview is when it becomes your turn to ask questions. Many fail to prepare questions prior to the interview, and even with preparation, most fail to use the opportunity to their advantage. Don’t let this be you!
Bad Example: “Are there opportunities for community service?”
Good Example: “During nursing school, we organized and participated in a number of food drives and community events. Does the hospital actively participate in any community service events that I may get involved with?”
5. Make a good post-interview impression. Hopefully at this point you’ve made a lasting impression – but just in case, always send a personalized thank you email to the interviewer within 24 hours of the interview. This shows assertiveness and opens the door to continued dialogue.
You’ve diligently prepared yourself during school with the skills required to be an outstanding contributor to the healthcare community. The interview process will be a walk in the park if treated with the same diligence.
Always feel free to contact your AmeriTech College Student and Career Services ([email protected]) We’re here to help you succeed! #ATCpride