Request Info

Professional Licensure

Prospective students who reside outside of the state of Utah and who are interested in any Ameritech’s online programs which lead to professional licensure are expected to inquire with the appropriate licensing agency in their home state, prior to beginning the program in order to assure that the program is approved to provide the desired licensure.

To assist with the research, NC-SARA provides a Professional Licensure Directory with contact information for all 50 states and 3 territories for Nursing.


Ameritech College of Healthcare is an authorized participant in SARA. SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories in which participating states adhere to established standards offering postsecondary distance education courses and program. SARA allows students to participate in online courses and online programs in other SARA states with a few restrictions including externship/internships and clinical requirements. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts. The state of Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). For more information and a list of member states, please visit National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) website.

The Utah System of Higher Education is the agency designated to serve as the UT SARA portal entity — the Utah point of contact for students and institutions for SARA questions, complaints and other communications. USHE works to ensure complaints against schools are resolved according to state statute as well as NC-SARA policies.

If a student has a complaint, the student should begin the complaint process with the institution and if resolution is not found, the student could file a complaint with Utah SARA or complete this online form.

If a student wishes to contact the state portal entities for his or her home state, contact information for state authorization liaisons in each SARA state can be found on the NC-SARA website. State by state contact information for agencies responsible for receiving student consumer complaints is available online.


The United States Department of Education regulation 4 C.F.R.§ 600.9(c) requires each state to apply for and receive authorization to provide online/distance education programs to out-of-state students. The authorization requirements, as well the application processes, vary on a state-by-state basis. Distance education programs in allied health professions, and nursing may require additional approval from state licensing agencies or boards. Out-of-state students who are considering applying to Ameritech should contact the licensing agency or board in their state prior to enrollment. Ameritech College cannot attest to whether a program meets licensure requirements in a student’s state of residence.

DCE also works to support the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) in identifying and updating an index of state legislation and application requirements. Now adopted, NC-SARA establishes standards for reciprocity agreements that colleges and universities from around the country meet and provides the advantage of a singular application to provide online/distance education in all 50 states.


The curriculum for programs at Ameritech College are designed to meet the licensure/certification requirements in Utah and prepare students to sit for licensure exams in Utah. The various licensure boards in each state are responsible for setting requirements for licensure/certification in their state and distance students with intent of returning or moving to any state other than Utah should be aware of the unique requirements for that state.

Though SARA authorizes the College to offer its programs in member states, there is the possibility that other state requirements not covered by SARA (such as requirements from state licensing boards) could necessitate the restriction of certain programs in certain states. Please note that should a student choose to enroll in a restricted program in a particular state, there may be restrictions that could affect him/her.

Examples could include:

  1. The student may be unable to sit for local licensing in that state.
  2. The student may be ineligible for consumer protection that state.
  3. The student may not be able to complete field placements (practicum, internship, clerkship, etc.) in that state. This could affect licensure or recognition of the degree to meet particular requirements in that state.

Additionally, if students move during the course of their studies to a state where their program is restricted, they are taking a risk that they may not be able to complete that program or use any of the credit earned in that program should they decide to pursue licensing in that field in that state.

Please note that the risks listed above are not exhaustive. Students should verify with their state’s professional licensing board that their plans are not impacted by these risks.